banner1

Home arrow Forum arrow Everything Biology Medicine and Health Colon cancer (aka colorectal cancer)
Main Menu
Home
News
Links
Wiki
Search
Administrator
FAQ
Contact Us
Science Books
Register
Online Store
Science on the Web
Store - beta
Project Fork
Feature Sections
Encyclopedia Astronuc
ID Watch
Community Menu
Forum
Einstein@Home
Member Blogs
Science Social Network
Science Network Users
Login Form
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2014, 09:18:08 AM
Username: Password:
Login with username, password and session length

Password reminder
Did you know?

The Platypus is stranger than you think.

Platypuses have no nipples.  After the young hatch, the mother oozes milk from the pores all over her body.

The male platypus has a poison barb on the inside of its hind legs.  The purpose of this weapon is uncertain.

While often compared to the beaver, the platypus is only about 20 inches in length -- more comparable to the size of the muskrat.

The Platypus bill is actually just an elongated muzzle covered with much the same kind of tough skin found on a dog's nose.  This bill contains an electrically-sensitive organ that can detect the electrical signatures of the small aquatic animals it eats.

Author Topic: Colon cancer (aka colorectal cancer)  (Read 5886 times)

Offline Astronuc

• Recalcitrant Heathen
  • Administrator
  • Celestial Wanderer - Temporal Guardian
    • Everything Science
Colon cancer (aka colorectal cancer)
« on: November 29, 2006, 04:11:16 PM »
My father has just been diagnosed with colon cancer and will have surgery soon and possibly chemotherapy if necessary.  Unfortunately, he put off a colonoscopy (should have done it several years ago), which would have revealed polyps, which could have been surgically removed before they become cancerous (adenocarcinoma).  He recently started passing blood in his stool - which is kind of late in the game.  There is not history of cance in our family of which I know, but my parternal grandfather did have diverticulitus - but lived to 103 yrs.

Colorectal cancer, also called colon cancer or bowel cancer, includes cancerous growths in the colon, rectum and appendix. It is the third most common form of cancer and the second leading cause of death among cancers in the Western world. Many colorectal cancers are thought to arise from adenomatous polyps in the colon. These mushroom-like growths are usually benign, but some may develop into cancer over time. The majority of the time, the diagnosis of localized colon cancer is through colonoscopy. Therapy is usually through surgery, which in many cases is followed by chemotherapy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorectal_cancer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adenocarcinoma

If one is 60 years old or older - go have a colonoscopy, especially if there is history of cancer in the family.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonoscopy

I am hoping that my father's condition is treatable.
Peace on Earth, and Goodwill to all Peoples, each day, every day, ad infinitum.

Joy to the World, All the boys and girls now, Joy to the fishes (and mammals too) in the deep blue sea, Joy to You and Me. - Three Dog Night

Raspberry Jam Delta-V - Joe Satriani

Offline Charity

• huntswoman
Re: Colon cancer (aka colorectal cancer)
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 11:52:35 PM »
I hope everything goes well for him. Good thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the        
  moments that take our breath away.

Offline helpmeob1

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 10:35:04 PM »
Here is the first thing you need to understand about a cancer cell.  It is a cell with amnesia.  It's a cell that is cut of from the brain and no longer in communication with the rest of the body.  Get a cluster of these together and you have Lord of the Flies at the cellular level.

There is a compound out there that brings order back to these cells and essentially makes the cell remember or even realize what is was designed to do immediately upon contact.  The cell that once lacked purpose and was destructive begins to act and behave with order submitting to the body's authority. 

This is wild stuff I realize.  As out there as it sounds if a cancer cell does an about face and aligns itself with the same purpose of the body it lives in it immediately stops being destructive. 

Cheers!

James

ireallywishihadthat (at) yahoo.com

Offline Astronuc

• Recalcitrant Heathen
  • Administrator
    • Everything Science
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 12:53:37 PM »

Joy to the World, All the boys and girls now, Joy to the fishes (and mammals too) in the deep blue sea, Joy to You and Me. - Three Dog Night

Offline Astronuc

• Recalcitrant Heathen
  • Administrator
    • Everything Science
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 07:08:43 AM »
My father has just finished 6 weeks of radiation and chemotherapy (5FU).

He is having a rough time with radiation burns to his bladder and colon/rectum.  The consequences are loss of control of the bladder and rectum.  He has intermittent and explosive diarrhea, and so must wear adult diapers.

As I mentioned previous - prevention is much, much better than a cure.

Valid XHTML 1.0!

Mambo is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL License.