banner1

Home arrow Forum arrow Everything Space Astronomy Clubs and Events Ask an Astronomer Grand Canyon Star Party 2008
Main Menu
Home
News
Links
Wiki
Search
Administrator
FAQ
Contact Us
Science Books
Register
Online Store
Science on the Web
Store - beta
Project Fork
Feature Sections
Encyclopedia Astronuc
ID Watch
Community Menu
Forum
Einstein@Home
Member Blogs
Science Social Network
Science Network Users
Login Form
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2014, 09:00:19 PM
Username: Password:
Login with username, password and session length

Password reminder
Did you know?

The Platypus is stranger than you think.

Platypuses have no nipples.  After the young hatch, the mother oozes milk from the pores all over her body.

The male platypus has a poison barb on the inside of its hind legs.  The purpose of this weapon is uncertain.

While often compared to the beaver, the platypus is only about 20 inches in length -- more comparable to the size of the muskrat.

The Platypus bill is actually just an elongated muzzle covered with much the same kind of tough skin found on a dog's nose.  This bill contains an electrically-sensitive organ that can detect the electrical signatures of the small aquatic animals it eats.

Author Topic: Grand Canyon Star Party 2008  (Read 3455 times)

Offline engaaraa

Grand Canyon Star Party 2008
« on: February 15, 2008, 06:32:02 AM »
I'm planning to go this year with the wife and kids (we are five in all). In view of this, should I aim for the north or south rim?
Should I rent an RV or a small car?
Should I tell them to expect comfort or will they be "roughing it"?
I would start the trip by spending a few days visiting my wife's friends in Chicago for about four days and then head down to Arizona for another four days.

"There must have been a door there in the wall when I came in"

Offline Skyjim

• Global Moderator
  • Visual Astronomy Nut
Re: Grand Canyon Star Party 2008
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 12:36:13 AM »
Engaaraa, my friend, I'm going to the South Rim this year so selfishly hope that you'll be there as well.  More info to follow, but for now here's the link to the web page:  http://www.tucsonastronomy.org/gcsp.html Short summary - more lodging and camping options on South Rim; more solitude on North.  Both beautiful.Jim
"The stars are the apexes of what wonderful triangles! What distant and different beings in the various mansions of the universe are contemplating the same one at the same moment! "

Henry David Thoreau - "Walden - or Life in the Woods", 1854

Offline Skyjim

• Global Moderator
  • Visual Astronomy Nut
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 08:50:00 AM »
Added info for E...   From Chicago, you are looking at approximately a 1750 mile road trip to the Canyon.  Not sure how you intend to travel, but fuel prices are fairly breathtaking so flying from the midwest may be attractive once you factor fuel and lodging cost.  If flying, perhaps with 5 of you, an RV rental might be attractive once you arrive in the region.   I just checked out Southwest Airlines web fares and you can get a flight from Chicago Midway to Phoenix for $129 one way, as an example.   You CAN camp but of course you'll need gear unless renting an RV - probably either hotel or RV rental make the most logistical sense.  In any case,  you'll need to start working on campground or lodge/hotel/RV reservations fairly soon.  Note that we are holding the party around 3rd quarter moon this year - normally the organizers keep it in June even if the moon isn't optimum because the monsoon season kicks in in July and it's thunderstorms more than half the afternoons and evenings.  I would come for the last few days of the party for best deep sky observing.  Engaaraa, I'll have a few scopes along including either an 18 or 20 inch dob, so you'll have instruments to look through!      Jim     NOW - can anybody tell me why my tab isn't working and my posts have text run together???  
"The stars are the apexes of what wonderful triangles! What distant and different beings in the various mansions of the universe are contemplating the same one at the same moment! "

Henry David Thoreau - "Walden - or Life in the Woods", 1854

Offline engaaraa

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 09:11:28 AM »
Thank you Jim. Now I'm thinking more in pairs of days, two here two there, etc. To go more places.
Before The Canyon, we might spend a couple of days in Las Vegas, and after the canyon we might go to somewhere in California. Plans keep changing..., I'll keep you posted.
"There must have been a door there in the wall when I came in"

Valid XHTML 1.0!

Mambo is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL License.